25 February 2008, 13:58
Another case initiated against "Voice of Beslan"
One more case has been initiated against the members of the "Voice of Beslan" Committee, this time - an administrative one. The activists of the organization informed about it on February 24.
According to their version, protocols were drawn up without their presence, although they did not refuse to sign them or present explanations, the "Echo Moskvy" Radio reports.
Thus, now in total four cases have been initiated against the members of the "Voice of Beslan" Committee: two administrative one, a criminal case and the one based on charges of extremism.
Earlier, the "Caucasian Knot" has informed that Ruslan Badalov, Chairman of the Russian Public Movement "Chechen Committee of National Salvation" (ChCNS), made a statement, in which he categorically demanded from power agencies to stop prosecuting the "Voice of Beslan". In the opinion of the human rights activist, the ultimate goal of this prosecution is to liquidate the organization whatsoever through arbitrariness.
"While closely following the fate of the NGO 'Voice of Beslan', I am indignant at illegal and unjustified prosecution of its activists. I know the 'Voice of Beslan as the organization, engaged in purposeful defence of the rights and interests of the victims of Beslan tragedy (and in nothing more!). There was and is nothing extremist and illegal in their activity," Mr Badalov has stated.
- BBC treats attack on journalists in Astrakhan as pre-planned action
- In Dagestan, PEC member demands to punish policemen who detained him
- European Parliament calls on Azerbaijani authorities to release five rights defenders
- ECtHR awards 60,000 euros of compensation to persons involved in one of Natalia Estemirova’s last cases
- ECtHR awards over one million euros to families of 16 missing Chechens
- Krasnodar: "EcoWatch" activist Shevchenko attacked while filming tree pruning
- Residents of Chechnya report on law enforcers' kidnapping of young woman in hijab
- BBC reporters attacked in Astrakhan
- Moscow hosts solo picket in support of Krasnodar ecologist Evgeny Vitishko
- GPO checks investigation into case of attack on journalist Tapdyg Farkhadoglu in Baku